Philips is a global leader in health technology, committed to improving billions of lives worldwide and striving to make the world healthier and more sustainable through innovation. Driven by the vision of a better tomorrow.
But it’s not just what we do, it’s who we are. We are 80,000, wonderfully unique individuals, with two things in common. An unwavering sense of purpose and a relentless determination to deliver on our customers’ needs. It’s what inspires us to create meaningful solutions – the kind that make a real difference – when it matters most.
The world and our customers’ needs are changing faster than ever before and while we are proud of what we do already, we know we can do more. That’s why we need you, to help us tackle increasingly complex challenges posed by ever evolving health and well-being needs.
In this role, you have the opportunity to make life better
As Global Leader of R&D Mechanical Design Team for X-ray tubes and Generators you will develop and innovate lifesaving technology with your global team in Hamburg, Germany and Suzhou, China. Our tubes and generators are used in diagnostic X-ray, computed tomography (CT), and Image-Guided Intervention & Therapy (IGT) systems and solutions for both Philips as well as OEM customers. In this role you will lead a global team through all phases of bringing a new product to life and then continually keeping the product’s high quality and cost improving over the products life. The phases including research and advanced development of new technologies that enable new clinical innovations with our products, the design and development of new and updated products and life cycle management. If you are passionate about leadership in an international setting that brings great products to market quickly via a continually improving team and way of working, then this may be the right role for you.
You are responsible for
The Global Leader manages the R&D and implementation process of products and services. Coordinates sector, departmental or cross-functional teams, focused on delivering new or upgrading existing products in order to create superior customer experience. Monitors development from initiation through delivery including planning and directing schedules and monitoring budget/spending. Organizes cross-functional activities, ensuring development is on schedule and within budget constraints. Supervises, hires, manages performance, competencies, and capacity, as well as selects, develops, coaches and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the development function. Assesses emerging technologies and may determine how to map them into product development roadmaps. Keeps abreast of technical developments through literature, technical contacts, and industry competition. Ensures compliance with product lifecycle and development procedures and processes as well as all applicable quality and regulatory requirements. All to ensure great solutions are developed for our customers.
• Is a member of the Development Management Team and determines, in
consultation with the Management Team, the department’s objectives, policies, processes and budgets on short and long term, makes sure that the organization can meet the objectives and ensures that the roles and responsibilities are put in place.
• Formulates and implements long-term vision/direction/strategy: steering the group to add maximum value to the business in the future. Aligns the strategy with the current and future customer needs. Content-wise inspires and contributes to cross-organizational strategy and project teams working on innovation themes and breakthroughs.
• Manages capabilities of the department; to develop and maintain a long-term view on the required competences and knowledge to introduce new technology. Ensures that there are adequate resources and tools at the proper time, is responsible for the technology and architecture in the department, and is responsible for maintaining and improving the department’s knowledge and expertise.
• Ensures appropriate personnel management practices regarding recruitment and selection, adequate staffing, remuneration, performance appraisals, education and training, and management development policy.
• Ensures an engaged, innovative, and inspiring working environment in the department by motivating, challenging, and coaching the department 's employees towards growth. Manages and optimizes the innovative climate, stimulating entrepreneurship and driving engagement
• Is co-responsible for achieving operational plans, guides Project Managers/Leaders and ensures the optimal allocation of personnel to the projects and effective project management
• Ensure excellent project execution in an agile environment by constantly optimizing project management and agile practices in the department to exceed customer expectations.
• Cooperates with relevant parties inside & outside of the department. Works across the borders of the own department – e.g. formulate strategies or project proposals across department borders, cooperating with other department heads, programs and the business. Establishes a network with relevant players; scientific relations outside of the department and with the business - on all topics, and actively using this network to obtain input on technological developments, identifying trends and opportunities.
• Knows the customers well and uses that knowledge in the role
• Takes data driven decisions
To succeed in this role, you’ll need a customer-first attitude and the following
Ability to lead cross functional and virtual. Role-modelling communication and conflict solving skills. Coaching/servant Leadership and Know-how of development & engineering practices.
I lead change: “…I initiate and support change to shape our future and improve how we work together…”
Active participation in development of the organization (drive and initiate change at department level and influence other disciplines)
I create meaningful innovation: “…I find new ways to co-create and deliver meaningful innovation that matters to our customers…”
Manage direct reports to fulfill project commitments (full system and cross platform)
I inspire by example: “…I inspire others through my behaviour, being open, courageous, inclusive and committed to the difference we can make together…” Demonstrate value driven behaviour showing the Philips values. Give positive and constructive feedback to others about their behaviour.
Create a working environment in accordance with Philips’ GBP.
Give recognition whenever appropriate.
I focus on customers: “…I use deep listening and market insights to gain competitive advantage and am always focused on making a difference for our customers…”
Ensure the voice of the customer is heard in technical discussions, making sure the outside-in view is taken in account (understand internal & external customer needs and translating customers needs to others)
I deliver results: “…I hold myself and others accountable to deliver results, emphasizing impact over effort…” Ensure teams are aware of business priorities and deliver excellence in project execution. Comes up with proposals to cope with set-backs (across programs/projects).
I drive operational excellence: “…I continuously improve our End2End performance to deliver with speed, efficiency and quality to our customers…” Ability to identify gaps and harmonize processes using lean engineering/principles and ensures a relentless drive on continuous quality. Enable via Strategic Workforce Planning the right people with the right competencies/skills are timely available
for the business needs.
Tech savvy, Collaborates, Builds effective teams, Develops talent, Communicates effectively, Drives engagement, Being resilient, Situational adaptability
Language skills: Proficient in English language is a must; Chinese and / or German would be a plus
In return, we offer you
In this role you will have great impact on the business´ development, driving the roadmap and bringing it to the pole position, as well as global strategic competency development and capacity planning in a SAFe agile working environment.
How we work at Philips
Our newly-adopted hybrid work concept fuses flexibility with collaboration to deliver great outcomes for our people and our customers. We are embracing an approach wherein we spend more time together than apart – which for full-time employees translates to an average of at least 3 days working from the office and up to 2 days from home – for our hybrid roles.
Hybrid work flexibility means people can meet the changing demands of work and home in the most balanced, productive, and healthy way.
Our hybrid working model is defined in 3 ways:
We believe in the importance of impactful collaboration: There's a certain energy when everyone’s in the same room that can heighten idea generation and creative friction needed for problem-solving.
We embrace flexibility: Choosing where, when and how to work can vary according to task and team schedules. Flexibility isn’t office or online, it means choosing the space that works best for you, your teams and our customers on a case-by-case basis.
We want to be at our best: The way we work and our workspaces are designed to support our well-being, offer career advancement opportunities, and enable us to be at our best.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on innovative, customer-first health technology solutions. Help us improve the health and well-being of billions of people, every year. Ultimately creating a career that no one could have planned for. Even you.
Over 125 years ago, Frederik and Gerard Philips started a small light bulb company in Eindhoven. Little did they realize that it would become a global force of innovation, committed to improving billions of lives worldwide. But it did. Today, Philips is a world leading health technology company with a vision to make life better for people worldwide through meaningful innovation. Making good on this promise depends on our passionate, inspirational, collaborative and diverse team. We have over 80,000+ brilliant people around the world but are always looking for more. Like-minded, motivated, focused minds to join us in creating a healthier, more connected society while tranforming themselves personally and professionally. Working at Philips is more than a job. It's an experience filled with unexcepted moments that will transform you in lasting and positive ways. Help us improve the world for the better while building a career that no one could have planned for. Even you.