Lead Engineer - Mechanical Development
Philips is a global leader in health technology, committed to improving billions of lives worldwide and striving to make the world healthier and more sustainable through innovation. Driven by the vision of a better tomorrow.
But it’s not just what we do, it’s who we are. We are 80,000, wonderfully unique individuals, with two things in common. An unwavering sense of purpose and a relentless determination to deliver on our customers’ needs. It’s what inspires us to create meaningful solutions – the kind that make a real difference – when it matters most.
The world and our customers’ needs are changing faster than ever before and while we are proud of what we do already, we know we can do more. That’s why we need you, to help us tackle increasingly complex challenges posed by ever evolving health and well-being needs.
In this role, you have the opportunity to make life better
- Conduct mechanical design, implementation, test, and documentation efforts necessary to support the development of mechanical components for use in Grooming and Beauty appliances.
- Implement new concepts into products that will deliver value for our customers. Together with an on-site team and/or our offshore development partners, you design, verify and validate the mechanical construction of a module or an appliance and detail the parts in 3D and 2D towards final technical product documentation.
You are responsible for
- Design and detail mechanical components and systems according specification, including conducting predictive analysis and calculations.
- Select materials (metal and plastics) and processes appropriate for those designs.
- Detail 3D and 2D files incorporating Design for (mass) Manufacturing and Design for Assembly requirements.
- Manage product requirements, lead DFMEA’s and follow the v-model methodology.
- Obtain parts and create prototypes.
- Lead ideations sessions, drive concept creation and decision making.
- Plan and prioritize your own work and manage the interfaces with other modules/parts – able to work via agile approach.
- Depending on team role, keep oversight of the complete appliance development.
- Write test protocols, conduct tests, analyze data, and report results.
- Successfully interact with associates in other departments, such as Project Management, Systems Engineering, Architecture, Manufacturing Operations, Procurement, Design, and engineering staff to achieve project and product objectives.
- Develop new test methods and tools as necessary.
- Identify gaps and implement improvements to bring the mechanical engineering group to a higher level.
- Capture and re-use of existing knowledge and share learnings.
- Document your choices and proof in a Design History File (evidence document).
- Archiving design files in Windchill or relevant system.
- Be a highly motivated, self-disciplined, open minded, individual possessing hands-on skills.
You are a part of
- A multidisciplinary development team consisting of e.g. Project Management, System engineers, Function development engineers, Application research specialists, Electronic and Mechatronic engineers. Being the technical counterpart for commercial managers and designers, you realize the most attractive appliances compared to competition.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need a customer-first attitude and the following
- Master / bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering.
- With minimum 5-10 years of experience in the field of mechanical product development;
- Experience with working in (international) multi-disciplinary projects, preferably in Business to Consumer.
- familiar with state-of-the-art development techniques and are skilled in 3D CAD (Siemens NX);
- Knowledge of the design of mechanical constructions in plastic and/or metal and you are familiar with the mass manufacturability aspects (mould / assembly tooling design);
- Ability to document requirements, tests, and designs;
- Ability to rapidly develop engineering concepts and drive them to functional prototypes.
- Ability to effectively utilize both empirical and theoretical methods to solve complex problems.
- Experience with CFD analysis, FEA (Ansys), and/or other analytical software programs;
- Working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals on a project team.
- Demonstrated ability to apply engineering and scientific principles to solve problems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Experience in the design and development of medical devices or the medical device industry is a plus
- Excellent hands-on Engineer and a proactive team player with strong leadership and communication skills;
- Quality driven. Experience with Design for Six Sigma (i.e. being greenbelt certified) is a plus;
- Ability to balance innovation and practical realization;
- Determination in decision making and independence;
- Ambitious, has leadership skills and is a team player and you have good coordination, communication skills.
In return, we offer you
- The ability to collaborate with, learn and grow from colleagues in a highly complex, global organization where you can use your strengths to help drive strategic business initiatives for Philips. Additionally, we provide you a dynamic working environment in an innovative business, paired with a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and a supportive atmosphere where you can sharpen your talents with new challenges and career opportunities.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on innovative, customer-first health technology solutions. Help us improve the health and well-being of billions of people, every year. Ultimately creating a career that no one could have planned for. Even you.