Lead Engineer, Mechanical Development
In this role, you have the opportunity to
- Conduct mechanical design, implementation, test, and documentation efforts necessary to support the development of mechanical components for use in Grooming and Beauty appliances.
- Implement new concepts into products that will deliver value for our customers. Together with an on-site team and/or our offshore development partners, you design, verify and validate the mechanical construction of a module or an appliance and detail the parts in 3D and 2D towards final technical product documentation.
You are responsible for
- Design and detail mechanical components and systems according specification, including conducting predictive analysis and calculations.
- Select materials (metal and plastics) and processes appropriate for those designs.
- Detail 3D and 2D files incorporating Design for (mass) Manufacturing and Design for Assembly requirements.
- Manage product requirements, lead DFMEA’s and follow the v-model methodology.
- Obtain parts and create prototypes.
- Lead ideations sessions, drive concept creation and decision making.
- Plan and prioritize your own work and manage the interfaces with other modules/parts – able to work via agile approach.
- Depending on team role, keep oversight of the complete appliance development.
- Write test protocols, conduct tests, analyze data, and report results.
- Successfully interact with associates in other departments, such as Project Management, Systems Engineering, Architecture, Manufacturing Operations, Procurement, Design, and engineering staff to achieve project and product objectives.
- Develop new test methods and tools as necessary.
- Identify gaps and implement improvements to bring the mechanical engineering group to a higher level.
- Capture and re-use of existing knowledge and share learnings.
- Document your choices and proof in a Design History File (evidence document).
- Archiving design files in Windchill or relevant system.
- Be a highly motivated, self-disciplined, open minded, individual possessing hands-on skills.
You are a part of
- A multidisciplinary development team consisting of e.g. Project Management, System engineers, Function development engineers, Application research specialists, Electronic and Mechatronic engineers. Being the technical counterpart for commercial managers and designers, you realize the most attractive appliances compared to competition.
- You belong to Grooming & Beauty Mechanical Engineering team that consists of 30 enthusiastic technical specialists. You Report to the Mechanical Engineering Group Manager.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience:
- Master / bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering.
- With minimum 5-10 years of experience in the field of mechanical product development;
- Experience with working in (international) multi-disciplinary projects, preferably in Business to Consumer.
- familiar with state-of-the-art development techniques and are skilled in 3D CAD (Siemens NX);
- Knowledge of the design of mechanical constructions in plastic and/or metal and you are familiar with the mass manufacturability aspects (mould / assembly tooling design);
- Ability to document requirements, tests, and designs;
- Ability to rapidly develop engineering concepts and drive them to functional prototypes.
- Ability to effectively utilize both empirical and theoretical methods to solve complex problems.
- Experience with CFD analysis, FEA (Ansys), and/or other analytical software programs;
- Working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals on a project team.
- Demonstrated ability to apply engineering and scientific principles to solve problems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Experience in the design and development of medical devices or the medical device industry is a plus
- Excellent hands-on Engineer and a proactive team player with strong leadership and communication skills;
- Quality driven. Experience with Design for Six Sigma (i.e. being greenbelt certified) is a plus;
- Ability to balance innovation and practical realization;
- Determination in decision making and independence;
- Ambitious, has leadership skills and is a team player and you have good coordination, communication skills.
In return, we offer you
- The ability to collaborate with, learn and grow from colleagues in a highly complex, global organization where you can use your strengths to help drive strategic business initiatives for Philips. Additionally, we provide you a dynamic working environment in an innovative business, paired with a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and a supportive atmosphere where you can sharpen your talents with new challenges and career opportunities.
Why should you join Philips?
- Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 2.5 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways. Learn more by watching this video.
- To find out more about what it’s like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog. Once there,you can also learn about our recruitment process, or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions.
Over 125 years ago, Frederik and Gerard Philips started a small light bulb company in Eindhoven.
Little did they realize that it would become a global force of innovation, committed to
improving billions of lives worldwide. But it did.
Today, Philips is a world leading health technology company with a vision to make life better
for people worldwide through meaningful innovation. Making good on this promise depends on our
passionate, inspirational, collaborative and diverse team.
We have over 80,000+ brilliant people around the world but are always looking for more.
Like-minded, motivated, focused minds to join us in creating a healthier, more connected society
while tranforming themselves personally and professionally.
Working at Philips is more than a job. It's an experience filled with unexcepted moments that
will transform you in lasting and positive ways. Help us improve the world for the better while
building a career that no one could have planned for. Even you.